City of ancient origins, just 15 Km (south) of Perugia, faithful to the Roman period. Its name means “ruined”, “destroyed”. In the middle ages, it was controlled by Perugia, then battered by continuous plagues which reduced the population drastically, including the city wall. Between the fifteenth and the sixteenth centuries, it underwent various disasters and sackings. On the occasion of the “War of the Salt” in 1540, it was allied with the Papal States which guaranteed it a period of peace; in this period, the production of artistic ceramics grew. The submission to the Papal States lasted until 1860, then there was a period under French domination, it was included in the Roman Republic, between 1809 and 1814 it was part of the Napoleonic Empire.
To visit: Town Hall from the thirteenth-century, where you will find the picture gallery which holds paintings by Pietro Vannucci (the Perugino); the Regional Ceramic Museum, which has beautiful examples of local majolica; the Church of S. Antonio Abate with frescoes by G. Bartolomeo and Bartolomeo Caporali.
May-Antiquarian market display, with an exhibition of ancient majolica, including from the historic centre.
historical centre, of worldwide importance. It is the city of St Francis, patron saint of Italy and universally recognised symbol of peace in the world. Set in the slopes of Monte Subasio, the city demonstrates immediately its immense richness and its charm. Worthy of note are the two basilicas (thirteenth century). The smaller one, with its crypt which attracts Around 30 km from Perugia, there is this marvellous religious, artistic, cultural and pilgrims who pay tribute to the relics of St Francis, is in Lombard-Roman style. The larger basilica is used for official gatherings, and is capable of hosting, on the throne reserved for him, even the Pope. The two basilicas are connected by a stairway on the transept on the left. The larger basilica has frescoes with the pictorial cycle of Cimabue and Giotto, damaged in the earthquake of 1997, and admirably restored.
The Basilica of Santa Chiara, completed in 1260; Duomo of San Ruffino; the park of Monte Subasio, rich with Franciscan memories; the Piazza of the Comune, and the “lay” piazza of Assisi.
May– May Day in Assisi, which welcomes the arrival of spring, with theatre, dance and competitions;
September– Peace march Perugia/Assisi;
October– National celebrations in honour of St Francis.
As far back as the city goes, it has played an important role in the region, thanks to its geographical position, 493 metres above sea level. It was once under the control of the cities of Assisi, Spello and Spoleto. Perugia, one of the most important centres of the Etruria, was closely linked to Lake Trasimeno. The city walls (third century BC) were constructed with two main doors. This part of the Etrusco-Roman plan was set up at the intersection of two axes, where the main street went through the heart of the city. In the historic centre, there were: the Etruscan Arch; Porta Marzia (third century), an Etruscan door; the Rocca Paolina, that which remains of the historic fortification commissioned by Pope Paul III in 1540; Fontana Maggiore, with bas reliefs by Nicola and Giovanni Pisano; the Sorbello well (third century); the Chiesa del Gesù (sixteenth century); the Basilica di S.Domenico (thirteenth century); the Oratorio of San Bernardino (sixteenth century); the Chiesa di San Francesco al Prato (thirteenth century); the Palazzo dei Priori (thirteenth to fifteenth century), which is the home of the town council and the national gallery of Umbria; in the main hall of the Cambio, the walls are adorned with the main pieces of artwork by the Perugino. The national gallery of Umbria hosts memorable works of art from the thirteenth to the eighteenth century; not to be missed are works by Piero Della Francesca, Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli, Pinturicchio and Perugino.
July-Umbria Jazz: started in 1973, it remains one of the most important jazz events in the world.
August- International fair for animated figures
According to legend, it was founded by Coragino, Ulysses’ noble Trojan companion, who called it the “most beautiful place in the world”. This hill, rich with water and green, was put under the control of Perugia and limited to a strategic role. Surrounded by robust walls, with medieval castles and towers, and an amphitheatre around Monte Malbe, it became a flourishing centre of agricultural and artisan activity in the fifteenth-century; it was visited by Pope Julius II and Machiavelli. Treasures that must be seen are: the Church of St Francis, built in the gothic era, the Town Hall, historic residence of the Corgna Dukes, from 1887 the seat of the municipal administration, the building of the Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo, the Palazzo dei Priori and Mercanzia, the sixteenth-century Puteale, the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, built in the thirteenth-century, the Torre comunale, where the public clock was located in 1474, still the pride of the community, the Church and the Convent of Sant’Agostino of the first half of the fourteenth-century.
April-May- Artisan Spring: the Umbrian artisans present their characteristic boutique products in the historic centre;
August- Corciano Festival: started in 1965, a space for the visual arts and music, theatre recounting historical events;
October- Corciano sweet village: marked by chocolate, two decadent days;
December- Corciano cribs: Nativity scenes with large models throughout the streets of the town;
December-January- Streets of Taste and Quality: exhibition and tasting of food and wine products from Umbria.
On 15 May each year it held the religious festival in honor of the patron saint, St. Ubaldo . Three heavy wooden machines are carried on the shoulders in a sort of relay race with no winners . The order of the three candles ( Ubaldo, patron saint of Gubbio , St. George and St. Anthony ) is always the same .
The last Sunday of May each year there is held the Palio della Balestra , folkloric events in honor of the patron saint, St. Ubaldo .
From December 7 to January 10 , on the slopes of Monte Igino , is drawn with colored lamps the famous Christmas tree largest in the world .
On the day of Good Friday is celebrated the Procession of the Dead Christ , accompanied by the singing of the Miserere .
In September it is held the pilgrimage " Path of Francis" , 40 km to be covered in three days to retrace the route taken by St. Francis of Assisi in the winter between 1206 and 1207 .
“Castle City” of medieval villages and noble residences, built on a rock, it is the main centre of Trasimeno. An old Etruscan village, then inhabited by the Romans, represented in the seventh-century AD by the Lombardian Tuscoa, an important defensive border, against the Byzantine Perugia. In 1550, Pope Julius III gave the town to his sister and nephews Ascanio and Fulvio della Corgna, who reigned until 1647 as Dukes of Castiglione del Lago.
To visit: Palazzo Ducale della Corgna (sixteenth-century.), based on the design of the Perugian architect, Galeazzo Alessi; inside, there is the noteworthy mannerist cycle of Niccolò Circignani (Il Pomarancio); Rocca del Leone from 1247, linked to a covered promenade to the Palazzo Ducale, an admirable example of Umbrian military architecture that dominates all of the Trasimeno; the Regional Park of Trasimeno, inaugurated in 1995.
April-May- “Coloriamo i cieli”: renowned festival of the kite, where all kite enthusiasts participate in a unique event; at the old town’s airport.
August_ White Red & Blues: non-stop music, including folk, soul, blues and performers, with all the smells and flavours of the food and wine specialties of Trasimeno.
OTHER RECOMMENDED LINKS